Port Townsend Police Log | Burglar's botched plan

Leader News Staff
Posted 8/8/22

The Port Townsend Police Department received a total of 144 calls between Friday, July 22, and Thursday, July 28. Below are selected reports.

At 1:35 p.m. Monday, July 25, at the Washington and …

This item is available in full to subscribers.

Please log in to continue

Log in

Port Townsend Police Log | Burglar's botched plan


The Port Townsend Police Department received a total of 144 calls between Friday, July 22, and Thursday, July 28. Below are selected reports.

At 1:35 p.m. Monday, July 25, at the Washington and Monroe streets intersection, someone reported two dogs in a vehicle that seemed to be in distress.

An officer found the car was parked in the shade with the windows down, and the dogs weren’t there anymore.

At 1:40 p.m. Monday, July 25, in the 200 block of 12th Street, a harassment call was made after two men got into an argument with a woman.

The woman told police that she had asked the men to not leave their garbage on the street, and the men retaliated by yelling at her and calling her a meth head. An officer determined no threats or physical violence had occurred and the two parties were separated. The men and woman left the area.

At 4:30 p.m. Monday, July 25, a caller near the Washington and Taylor streets intersection reported that her daughter was being harassed by a 70-year-old man.

The daughter was practicing her art by sketching people in the area and asked the man if he wanted to be sketched. He later told the underage girl that he wanted to stare at her chest.

Officers arrived in the area to check on the situation, but the man had already left.

The man never touched the girl and was described as heavy-set with silver hair, a beard, and a beer belly. He was also wearing a beret and a green shirt and had a cane. It was unknown why the man said what he said, but no crime had occurred and the officers left.

At 5:45 a.m. Tuesday, July 26, in the 1900 block of Sheridan Street, a caller reported seeing a potential domestic violence situation.

A man had been seen yelling at a woman and he asked where his gun was at. The reporting party left the area and officers drove to the scene and spoke with the pair.

They said their argument had ended and nothing physical happened. Officers noted there were no signs of physical damage to either person. The man said he would leave the area and go for a drive to cool down.

At 2 p.m. Tuesday, July 26, in the 1200 block of Lawrence Street, a caller reported seeing a dog tied up to a vehicle for the last two days.

The car was a white GMC SUV. An officer came to the scene and spoke with the dog’s owner. She told the officer that she and her boyfriend are currently homeless and living in the car with the dog. She said the dog, a 10-month-old German shepherd, has plenty of food and water and is healthy. The officer noted there were no signs of animal abuse; the dog had all of its necessities met, and the owner was just in a bad situation.

At 12:40 a.m. Wednesday,
July 27,
a disturbance was reported at the San Juan Avenue and 20th Street intersection after a woman reported that someone pulled a knife on her.

She told dispatchers that the man with the knife was an anarchist and that he would kill her if she didn’t leave.

The woman was not cooperating with dispatchers and wouldn’t give her location and eventually hung up. She later told police that the dispatcher didn’t know how to handle her because she was talking a mile a minute and having to repeat her story.

Officers arrived and spoke with the woman, who’d left the property she was at earlier.

Officers recognized the woman and noted it appeared that she was having a mental health crisis. Officers also spoke with the man at the property she called from earlier, and he said he asked her to leave multiple times, but she wasn’t cooperative even though the dispute was on his property.

The woman’s recollection of the past events appeared to be inaccurate. No crime had occurred so the officers left.

At 4:55 p.m. Wednesday, July 27, in the 2600 block of Washington Street, a  burglary was reported at a nearby office.

The caller told police they believed the crime occurred overnight, and tools and cash had been stolen from the business.

Camera footage showed the burglar entering the office through an unlocked window. The suspect was a former employee, and the caller said the crime likely happened around 9:30 p.m.

The caller said the thief used scaffolding placed on the north end of the building to enter a second-story window. They said the former employee knew the window didn’t lock, and the person entered and stole multiple items including headphones, tools, and $930 in cash. The burglar stuffed the stolen items in two 5-gallon buckets, opened the garage door, and exited through the same window. The former employee agreed to return the items, and when he returned them, an officer conducted a full investigation.

At 11 a.m. Thursday, July 28, a caller in the 4000 block of Emerald Street reported a fraudulent text message that said the U.S. government was giving money to them.

Before knowing it was a scam, the caller went online and answered personal questions from the message, and now was receiving constant phone calls.

The incident was documented.


No comments on this item Please log in to comment by clicking here